I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving. I was planning to post this entry sometime between then (Thanksgiving Day) and now, but with everyone home and underfoot things just got busy, and real life had other plans... The following, however, is Part 3 of the current series.
After creating the last card in the previous post, I sort of stepped back to take inventory -- I was pretty happy with the five cards I'd already completed, but found I still had a lot of leftovers - a couple of flower tags, a blank tag, a handful of scraps from Print A, a substantial piece plus scraps from Print B, and a nice section of adhesive-backed vellum. I also had all the 5-petal blossoms I'd punched from that boo boo panel and set aside.
Since my scrap bin already overfloweth, and my mojo was coming around, the goal for this particular stamping session took another turn... Why not try to use up ALL the paper from the two, original 12 x 12 pieces of print?!?
I started with a 4" x 5.25" portion from the substantial piece of Print B, and added a scrap strip of Print A. Then I noticed the Cuttlebugged border that had been sitting at the side of my work table for months. Next came one of the matted flower tags I'd made earlier, and another torn-edged, vellum saying. Card #1
I didn't have enough of either print for another 4 x 5.25 panel, so my next thought was to simply utilize the remaining scraps on plain white cards.
What if I were to reverse the stamping surfaces by stamping the image onto the vellum, and the saying onto cardstock - in this case, the leftover blank tag? While liking the cumulative effect so far, the card just didn't look "finished." Ah-ha! I knew those punched flowers would come in handy! Card #2
I can't explain exactly how the next card came together, but I remember shuffling the three rectangular scraps of print around on top of the white card, and thinking how they reminded me of stairs... At that point, I think I had to stop to let the dog go outside, and seeing him go down our porch steps reminded me that I had a handful of stamped dog images already cut out, and waiting for color (a waiting room project on one of the days I'd taken my mother for an eye treatment). I wasn't sure stamping a saying on vellum, then mounting it to the white card would be very effective, so I added the sentiment directly to the card front. I also used one of the Spotlight Solids as an image "grounder," and finished things off with a few more of those flower punches. Card #3
One of the remaining scraps from Print A looked as if it would showcase a stamped saying pretty well, so that's how the next card got started... Then came a couple more scraps layered together... What should I use as an image? Amazingly enough, the larger of the two, layered butterflies had been created as much as a year ago, for a class I'd taught on great techniques to use with b-fly images... Somehow I'd ended up with an extra one made from a paper-piecing technique, and had kept it attached to the side of my marker box... It was right under my nose, and I happened to notice that the colors were PERFECT! Happily, I helped this winged wonder fly from the marker box onto the card, then stamped up the smaller version. Card #4
Two scrap strips of Print B left... AND an extra butterfly! Have you figured out by now that I almost never make just one of anything?!? The layered circles were added for two reasons: 1) to frame the b-fly cut-out, and 2) to camouflage the intersection of the print strips. Card #5
* Nothing new was added to the original supplies list.
* Card 1 - Saying from WD-21 Give Thanks. Tag sewn to card using carpet thread. As a side note, this is my least favorite card of the entire lot.
* Card 2 - Image from DK-10 Looking Collage. Sentiment from HSD-Hoot. Vellum image adhered to white chipboard.
* Card 3 - Dog image from ABC-Dog Daze. Saying from WD-217 Sunny Smiles. Shadow stamped in Memories Soft Peach ink.
* Card 4 - Butterfly images from WD-91 Soar. Quote from Piggy Dreams. Butterflies stamped/embossed once each on three colors of paper, then cut out and layered. Antennae of large b-fly made from carpet thread. Antennae of small b-fly stamped on card.
* Card #5 - "thanks" from DK-01 Combo Sentiments.
Almost done, but not quite...