The title of today's post is sort of a play on words... You see, during yesterday's computer disaster, I had forgotten saving images for the first part of today's post on a pen drive. The discovery was a bright spot in my evening, AND it just so happens that the images saved were the 'bright' cards designed for this month's smART-Word Challenge. God is always good!
'Bright' card #1 is pretty straight forward. The spirit lady was stamped in Memento and colored with a base of alcohol markers, then deepened with colored pencils & OMS (odorless mineral spirits - Mona Lisa brand, available at Michael's). The borders and words were stamped in Versafine, and the borders were clear embossed. Don't you just love the look of black embossing on black paper?!?
My second challenge card looks easy enough, and it is...However, since all the stamps except the words are 'solid', I'll share a handful of tips for what I believe yields good results...
Generally speaking, dye inks produce a brighter appearance, so for the background, I immediately reached for my Marvy Matchables -- These are water-based inks that come in square pads which stack upside down wonderfully well, and stay really juicy for years. They're available in LOTS of colors, many of which also match a color of Marvy brush-tipped marker. Is the brand 'special' for solid image stamping? No, but the juicy-ness of the pad is...so use what you have as long the pads are well-inked.
Now to pull out the Stamp-a-ma-jig. Yes, in this case, it's important...BUT since this is a randomly designed background, the plastic imaging sheet is not needed...
- Using prepped rubber (see post on silhouette stamping), ink up the stamp.
- Wait briefly for any air bubbles in the ink to smooth themselves out.
- Stamp the image onto paper, and hold in place for a count of '10'.
- Without moving the block, position the jig.
- Without moving the jig, repeat the stamping process until the stamped image really is solid. I found '3' impressions was the magic number, but it's really the juicy-ness of the pad that determines this...
For solid, black images I prefer Brilliance ink (again, see post on silhouette stamping). Again, I stress a well-inked pad. For this ink, planning ahead is the ticket because the reinker is a thicker consistency than dye ink, and isn't absorbed by the pad as quickly. I've found if I 'freshen' my pad the night before, working with it the next day is much less messy...
On this card I wanted my black images/words specifically placed, so I used the jig in the traditional manner, and made a single impressions. Should you prefer using a different black ink, you can always try building it up in layers as was done with the geometrics. In the case of all 'solid' stamping, I recommend always stamping a test image on a scrap of the same type of paper you're using for the project.
This weekend I hope to re-photograph the cards featuring the sneak peeks of Summer Blooms and My Hope, load them into the laptop, and post them shortly thereafter.
Still 'growling' a little, but making the best of things,